I was that person who was always hungry and constantly craved sugar. I used to just grab and eat on the go. Making meal prep a weekly habit has improved my diet and allowed me to achieve my health goals. Plus, I now have the most envious #workweeklunch in my workplace.
Starting Meal Prep can be overwhelming so here are my top tips to get you started:
- Ask yourself “What do I actually feel like eating this week”? Then go about making a healthy version of this meal. Making a salad when you don’t actually feel like eating one will make it hard to stay on track with your health and fitness goals. If you prep what you feel like eating you are more likely to stick to your healthy food plan.
- Focus on meal prepping your breakfasts and lunches. Prepping these 2 meals will give you a great healthy start to your day. You can then add in snacks like fruit, nuts, popcorn, etc. that don’t require any prepping, to complete your 3-day meal prep.
- Plan your meal prep for 3 days. A 3-day meal prep is manageable. It keeps the best in the fridge and will reheat well in the microwave. Having a 3-day plan is great as your meals are covered for almost half of the week!
- When planning your meals make sure each meal has a lean source of protein ( chicken, fish, legumes, eggs) a good source of carbohydrates ( brown rice, oats, quinoa, pumpkin) and healthy fats ( nuts, seeds, avocado) This will help satiate your appetite and will help with those 3 pm sugar cravings.
- Make a shopping list and fill your fridge and pantry with fresh wholesome nutritious food. Use food that is in season. This will save you time and money.
- Buy some cute meal prep bowls and containers. Everything tastes better in a cute dish!
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with new recipes. Add in a new recipe each week. Flick through your favourite recipe books or scroll through Instagram to find some delicious food blogger inspo for your next meal.
- Make Meal Prep a habit. Set aside an hour every Sunday to make some meals and prep your snacks for the week ahead. I promise you will thank yourself on Monday when all you have to do is grab and eat.